Return from the Crunch
Another 48 hour crunchtime. Argh. When will I ever learn to avoid those?
Ok, first off, Neil Gaiman’s writer’s forum last Monday hosted by the British council in the Music Museum. I saw a crowd of dreamy faces (except Jessica Zafra’s). A lot of questions that were not even asked because he had to go to a book signing event at Cubao’s Gateway mall.
During the forum, I was squirming in my seat (not because I had to go to the bathroom). I had this question that I wanted to ask Mr. Gaiman. I was curious about what he thought about interactive fiction and about video games as vehicles for storytelling—since this was relevant to the industry I am in. I got up and started to follow the queue for the questions. I just had the question memorized in my head when a British Council “agent” asked me to sit down since they were only allowing 3 people per queue (there was one on each isle). And so, the good boy sat down and waited for their call (although I had no idea how they were going to do that in the first place because they didn’t know my name).
After a gentleman refused to say his name because he was “supposed to be at work”, Neil asked for a show of hands of those who were supposed to be at work or at school. Two thirds of the crowd raised their hands (including me) and Mr. Gaiman was taken aback. For a moment, he felt responsible for the floundering Philippine economy. Yet in his heart, he knew that for a group of dreamers, this is one escape from reality we couldn’t afford to miss.
Before I knew it, the panel said “Last two questions please.” Oh, well. I’ll just have to email him my questions then. It was such a shame, too, because we were all waiting for the intelligent, “literate” questions (not that my question was intelligent in any way—just curious, really and nothing introspective). And only a few held up to our expectations.
I would like to thank my friend Luna and her boyfriend Adrian (whose mom happens to be a part of the British Council) for the inspirational weekend we had with Mr. Gaiman. I learned something new about the craft and it was definitely worth it.
The whole week flew by and ended in a emotionally charged (mostly happy) 48-hour plus work marathon last Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. Thankfully, our clients were still generous and supportive of our efforts. Although the product itself fell short of my personal expectations, God gave me the peace to get over that failure.
"Why do we fall, son?"
"So we could learn to get up again."
Again His comfort flooded my soul, reminding me that I was more important than any work I did for Him.
That’s all for now. Good night!
Ok, first off, Neil Gaiman’s writer’s forum last Monday hosted by the British council in the Music Museum. I saw a crowd of dreamy faces (except Jessica Zafra’s). A lot of questions that were not even asked because he had to go to a book signing event at Cubao’s Gateway mall.
During the forum, I was squirming in my seat (not because I had to go to the bathroom). I had this question that I wanted to ask Mr. Gaiman. I was curious about what he thought about interactive fiction and about video games as vehicles for storytelling—since this was relevant to the industry I am in. I got up and started to follow the queue for the questions. I just had the question memorized in my head when a British Council “agent” asked me to sit down since they were only allowing 3 people per queue (there was one on each isle). And so, the good boy sat down and waited for their call (although I had no idea how they were going to do that in the first place because they didn’t know my name).
After a gentleman refused to say his name because he was “supposed to be at work”, Neil asked for a show of hands of those who were supposed to be at work or at school. Two thirds of the crowd raised their hands (including me) and Mr. Gaiman was taken aback. For a moment, he felt responsible for the floundering Philippine economy. Yet in his heart, he knew that for a group of dreamers, this is one escape from reality we couldn’t afford to miss.
Before I knew it, the panel said “Last two questions please.” Oh, well. I’ll just have to email him my questions then. It was such a shame, too, because we were all waiting for the intelligent, “literate” questions (not that my question was intelligent in any way—just curious, really and nothing introspective). And only a few held up to our expectations.
I would like to thank my friend Luna and her boyfriend Adrian (whose mom happens to be a part of the British Council) for the inspirational weekend we had with Mr. Gaiman. I learned something new about the craft and it was definitely worth it.
The whole week flew by and ended in a emotionally charged (mostly happy) 48-hour plus work marathon last Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. Thankfully, our clients were still generous and supportive of our efforts. Although the product itself fell short of my personal expectations, God gave me the peace to get over that failure.
"Why do we fall, son?"
"So we could learn to get up again."
Again His comfort flooded my soul, reminding me that I was more important than any work I did for Him.
That’s all for now. Good night!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home